Wednesday, June 24, 2009

No Laughing Matter....


As a little girl, there were so many mysteries to this world......


How do the stars stay in the sky?
Where do babies REALLY come from?


Who invented chewing gum and why?



Why do we change the clocks in the spring and the fall?



Is Goofy a dog or a person?




As with most things, each answer revealed itself in time. Some answers made sense---others, not so much. But each question became easier to uncover the truth as I became older and wiser. With age, I have found that my curiosity hasn't dissappeared, but the focus has shifted.



Will he be a good father?

Is it me? Or is the sex different?



Am I judged by merit alone at work?



Will I be a good mother?

Am I mean to people?


why are relationships so difficult?


Am I ready for Marriage?


....Then...we rented Chris Rock....




Initially, I laughed. 10 minutes after it was over---I couldn't help wonder if that's really how he saw marriage. Is that how MOST men viewed marriage and relationships?? Then it made me terribly sad. If Chris had stayed awake for the entire routine---how hard would he have laughed at the jokes?

Growing up, I was so certain I'd get married to the man of my dreams and we'd have kids. I guess I was too young to wonder if a woman's "happily ever after" was equivalent to a man's "worse nightmare".

Naturally, my thoughts made me second guess how funny the material was...



What's up with that??



2 comments:

  1. Chris Rock is so funny. I believe he is divorced now. Anyway, I feel that if you and yourself are the only and primary focus in a relationship then you are not involved in a healthy relationship. Healthy relationships look like the yin-yang symbol and consist of giving and receiving. I think the woman and the man can both find "happily ever after" in a healthy relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry it took me so long to respond to your post. I guess what concerned me after looking at the Chris Rock special was how are black man are conditioned to view marriage totally opposite than women. Most men grow up their entire lives viewing marriage as the ole "ball and chain"; And many women see it as a way out of bad dating scenarios, the beginning of their family life, no more premarital sex, a stepping stone towards experiencing and giving REAL love. I guess my worry is as long as we see it so differently--could it ever work? Especially, when you have famous people getting and married and divorced like they're "going steady" and you have Chris Rock---making jokes like these and making films entitled "I think I love my wife". Shit. Are you serious. You THINK you love her? In every joke is a little bit of truth--I'm just scared about what part is true...

    ReplyDelete